In caring for your jewellery, it’s important to understand the vulnerabilities of precious metals and stones, and apply these to your lifestyle. To carefully maintain your precious piece, we recommend avoiding exposure to any impact, pressure or extreme temperatures. Metal, natural gemstones and even diamonds can crack or chip upon impact with the wrong object. Chemicals and some household substances can weaken metal or damage natural gemstones, even if not immediately apparent.
The most important factor in caring for your fine jewellery, is understanding appropriate wear. As much as we want you to love and enjoy wearing your jewellery, its important to remove your jewellery when:
- Showering or swimming
- Applying cosmetic products or perfumes
- Exercising, especially at the gym. Keep it safe and take it off.
- Doing any hands on work, where your jewellery is exposed to chemicals or force.
Depending on your professional life, you will need to carefully assess whether your piece should be worn during working hours. If in doubt about whether you should wear your piece in a specific situation. Adhering to these guidelines will assist in maximising the longevity of your piece.
- Sprays and creams including soap, perfume, moisturiser and suncream can cause dullness so it is best to remove your jewellery before using any of these products.
- Brass can simply be cleaned back to their original appearance by using a standard brass metal polish (Brasso is our favourite brand) The piece of platinum paper can also be used to bring back the original shine.
- If you would like us to clean or re-plate any jewellery piece for you, please contact us and we will be happy to arrange this.
Extra care should be given to plated jewellery.
- Avoid bringing your plated jewellery into contact with perfumes, oils and lotions, rather only wear your jewellery once you are done working with those substances.
- You should also remove your plated jewellery when you are exercising, swimming or in the shower or bath.
- If you would like us to re-plate any jewellery piece for you, please contact us and we will be happy to arrange this. Plating service starts at R200.
Damage to jewellery can happen due to normal wear and tear or if one is not careful with the jewellery item, remember jewellery is delicate. We will repair the piece at no charge within 1 month of purchase. After this, there will be a repair fee charged to the customer. This amount will be determined after inspection of the product.
If for any reason you lose or damage your jewellery, please send us an email to email@example.com and we’ll do our best to help. We are happy to make individual earrings if required.
You will be responsible for any courier costs incurred in getting the piece to and from our studio. We are happy to arrange the courier collection on your behalf.
Please note: We do not offer repair services on any jewellery other than our own.
Each Meraki Jewellery piece comes with a standard six month stone replacement warranty. This warranty applies for stones smaller than 0.03cts, excluding centre stones. Please be advised that due to the delicate nature of natural stones, as well as the setting techniques used, breakages and loosening of stones might occur.
We recommend having your centre stone setting assessed annually for any movement or looseness. If the setting starts catching on material, this could mean a claw has opened up and could cause the stone to pop out. Should this happen, we advise refraining from wearing the ring and returning it to us immediately. In the unlikely event of a small stone popping out of the setting, please contact us for replacement and a full check of your jewellery item.
Specific to rings, even if the size is a bit loose or too snug, we could resize most rings up to one or one and a half sizes bigger or smaller. Kindly keep in mind that the integrity of the ring gets compromised for each sizing. To which we would suggest limiting resizing to a maximum of three times within the ring's lifetime. We always recommend trying to make sure of the ring size prior to manufacturing, as resizing could result in compromising the security of the stones. A resizing fee will apply. We will always communicate this with you prior to the work being carried out.
Kindly note that if the jewellery item is taken to another jeweller for a repair or a polish and cleaning, the warranty on your piece will be suspended and Meraki Jewellery Design will not be held responsible for any damages occurring thereafter.